PODD Communication Books
Two-Day Intro Workshop
August 4 - 5, 2022 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Orange, Connecticut, USA
Pre-sale rate is going fast
For a limited time, we're offering a reduced rate to register for our Official PODD Intro Training. Sign up today to take advantage of the 10% discount, before it's gone!
Learning a New Approach
Children who have complex communication needs (little or no speech), often benefit from augmentative and alternative communication to support interaction. This may include children who have physical disabilities, multiple disabilities, sensory processing challenges, autism, and a range of other developmental challenges.
This two-day course will demonstrate the use of a Pragmatic Organization Dynamic Display (PODD) approach developed by Gayle Porter. PODD is a language organization system used in communication books and AAC devices.
The PODD system focuses on providing language to support genuine communication for a variety of functions throughout the day. Generic templates are available for a range of language levels and access methods.
Come learn strategies for selecting and customizing PODD generic templates and creating multi-modal language learning environments. Learn strategies for teaching and using PODD with children and their communication partners. Videos and case examples will be shared. Participants will have an opportunity for hands-on practice with PODD communication books.
Hands-on Training with the Developer of PODD, Gayle Porter.
Gayle Porter, B.App Sc., MSPA
Gayle is a speech pathologist with 41 years of hands-on experience working with people with complex communication needs. Gayle is co-founder and senior speech pathologist at the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre in Melbourne, Australia. She also has a private practice working with individuals with complex communication needs in their community. Gayle developed and has published resources on the Pragmatic Organization Dynamic Display (PODD) communication books and page-sets for speech generating devices. She has authored articles, publications, and chapters on Augmentative and Alternative Communication and cerebral palsy. Gayle is a highly sought-after international presenter.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies, and customizing for individuals requirements
- Identify the key desirable outcomes for AAC intervention that guided development of and strategies selected to implement the PODD systems
- Discuss the importance of receptive language input and creating a language learning environment
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements
- Use PODD generic template resources to produce customized communication books
- Identify and use strategies to build fluency using the PODD language organization to communicate
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with student and team members